Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gujari market




I went to Gujari Market on Sunday down east of Ellis bridge. There were sooo many people, sooo many rickshaws. So many things for sale. It reminded me of “Portobello Road” from the movie “Bedknobs and Broomsticks.” Lots of clothes, religious articles, silver cookware, lots and lots of found objects like remote controls, tools. So many things! It was soo hot, too! Actually my roommate went earlier to film a movie for her project and ended up fainting!  She’ll probably not appreciate me telling this…

Yay! I cooked daal for my roommates for dinner last night, all by myself! Haha I think it turned out well; I liked it anyway. This morning I went to visit a Fulbright alumni in planning here in Ahmedabad. This firm had designed the new campus for IIM and had also done these town planning schemes for the new development in Gandhinagar. It was really great to talk to her because I didn’t really understand how the planning worked, but she explained it very well and had some interesting ideas for my research.

So let me tell you about shopping about dress material because it is just so fun. I think you have to get used to it first though because in the US you are kind of left alone to find what you want. Here there are all these shops where everything is on shelves behind the counter and you have to ask for it. I think it takes up a lot less space though which would make sense in a densely populated country as this. But many times the clothes or dress material for salwar kameez, these outfits I’ve had sewn, are folded on shelves. So you go in and these guys just start pulling out different pieces for you to look at. I think from the way we are accustomed to, it’s a little daunting at first; we like to be left alone to find our own thing, but here even shopping is this social activity with all these interactions, and they try so hard to sell their wares to you. It turns out being so fun though if you just have fun with it. I wanted something teal, and they kept bringing out all these other colors, so finally I said I just wanted teal. Every once in awhile they’d bring a different color – they tried a white one, but I hate white - I think they thought it was funny that I only wanted teal. They kept saying, “very fancy” or “sombor colors” or “fancy hands” which meant the sleeves were a different material. I felt so bad for only buying one thing! But it’s so much fun seeing all the different designs and colors!

7 comments:

  1. The market really sounds incredible. I love seeing the detailed pictures. Shopping sounds fun too. Next time you go and pick something out, take a picture of all the cloth on the shelves and how they bring it out on the counter to try and get you to choose it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P/S Very scary that your roommate fainted! Especially since she is a native Indian and you'd think she'd be more used to it. Please be careful yourself! I read that winter starts in September, so hopefully it will cool down soon.

    When will the pretty purple and green outfit be finished? Can't wait to see that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to take a picture of a ric shaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow now people on the otherside of the planet know i fainted.. Ah fame :D

    Hey i should get photo credits for taking all those lovely snaps of you resplendent in Indian salwar kurtas :) We've still gotta take one of the blue kurta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, sorry Arpita! Yes,m by all means, credit where credit is due! Arpita took all the pictures of me in my salwar kameez, and Caryn took the ones from Ganesh Chathurthi.

    There are pictures of rickshaws in my facebook albums, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll get the new outfit on Friday, I think..and new glasses too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, i do need a picture of the blue salwar kameez...too bad I promptly spilled chai on it! I'll take a pic when it's clean

    ReplyDelete