Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So excited to be back!



I'm sooo supremely excited to be back, and most of all to see friends I made while I was on CapAsia. I haven't seen them in 4 years!! I just spoke with some of them on the phone, and I can't even express how excited I am! My friend Ruchi should be coming to greet me at the airport; she is so sweet! And my friend Harpreet is going to come up this weekend from Mumbai. They have all offered there help for everything in getting settled which is so nice!

I'll be staying at the Indian Institute of Management's campus dorms for a few days while I look for a flat. Their campus is just down the street from CEPT, my host school. It's only going to cost like 2 bucks to stay there per night so I'm very glad of this - plus their campus was designed by the famous architect Louis Kahn!

It's funny because up until arriving here, I was so nervous and worried. I'm sure everyone knows what a worrier I am in general! Maybe it's because I've been to India already, but I have really been able to let go of the worrying so far! You know, I'm not really sure about the details of the hotel I'll be staying at the first night in Ahmedabad, even though I'm leaving tomorrow. I even got lost today when I was walking to the Fulbright house which is pretty sad since it's just around the corner! And I'm usually pretty good finding my way around, but I didn't even freak out about it even though it made me late....

There was a really great professor who spoke at the orienatation today. The session was going to be about research resources for our project and so I expected it to be pretty general since there are 40 people going all over India. But no, this guy read each of our proposals in detail and found information and contacts for almost everyone. Some of the medical projects, he didn't have a whole lot of info for, but I can't imagine how much time he spent doing this all! He seemed pretty interested in my topic and suggested the books by Ravi Kalia that I've been reading already, and also suggested another architect in Delhi I should contact.

There was also a guy with the embassy's regional security. His presentation was really good - He was obssessed with security! I could picture him everywhere telling you where the nearest exit was and planning an evacuation route for everything, even going to the movies! He even carries a map with him at all times of all the closest hospitals and the phone numbers and everything.

Anyway later my friend Megan and I made another excursion to the bigger FabIndia in Greater Khailash. I bought a kurta, salwar pants, and a dupatta scarf. It's pricey there though, so I'll probably just have some things tailored later.

4 comments:

  1. I feel how excited you're getting now. I'm so glad!!! You're going to have such a great time. I know you can't wait to see Hapreet and your other friends. How amazing it is that you actually got the chance to return to India. For most people, that first trip would have been a once-in-a-life-time trip.... Have a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really excited for you. I was looking on Google Earth last night and I amazed at how big New Dehli is. I was looking a pictures and they showed some of the prettiest places I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worry no more!? You must have found some chocolate somewhere! Tell them your Uncle Ray says you can get the project done in the last weeks of the project and will take the first 10 months traveling around the country searching for souvenirs for your family.
    Uncle Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. From all the stuff you're buying, it sounds like you're going to have to buy another suite case already!!

    If Sam were categorizing all these people by Harry Potter, he would say the security obsessed guy would be Mad Eye Moody. Constant Vigilance!!!

    ReplyDelete