Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shifting in to the Flat




I was a bit worried about how I would manage getting all my big bags over to the flat before the girls left for work, but India's great for that. Some workers saw me with my luggage and pulled them for me, so it was really easy actually.
I got there in the morning before they had to leave for work. Arpita is my age - she's done her masters in social work and is working as a research at Indian Institute of Management (IIM) and Rashmi is 30 - although she didn't like Arpita telling this! And she works at a bank. In Hindi - Woh Bank me kam kurthi hai. ( I think..) I think they'll we'll all get along well though. Arpita and I had a big conversation about what we want to do with our lives - or not knowing rather - and how all our friends are getting married, and we don't want to. It's really interesting how you can find someone who has so much in common on the other side of the world who has grown up in a different culture. You start to realize how different things are in some respects, but in others that you thought were different, may not be as different as you originally thought. She was telling me though that in 2002 there was a really horrible situtation in Ahmedabad where the Hindus killed many of the Muslims in the city..really sad..

5 comments:

  1. The flat looks very nice! You're room is pretty big. What is the little vent-looking thing up to the right of your curtain rod? I saw one in the kitchen picture too. You and Arpita sound like you'll be fast friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I like the wall tile in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'm not sure which vent you're talking about, Mom. I think there's just a little stepped back place in the wall..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flat looks great and your roommates sound really nice!

    ReplyDelete