Sunday, March 21, 2010

Playing the game

So after awhile in India you start to learn how things work and realize the little 'games' that go on in every day life. In my own case and some friends', you start to play your own games to cope.

Once you are in India, you quickly learn that 10 Rupee bills are like gold. This country runs on these things. To take a rickshaw, to buy a coke, a snack, these small, everyday items, you always need 5 - 10 bills. And everyone knows this so everyone goes to great pains not to give these bills out as change. Actually as I think of it, no one ever wants to make change for you at all. So it's like a game of chicken, when you are paying for something, you see who folds first. You hand a Rs. 50 note to an autowala and need change, he claims not to have any. At first I would have just given him the change I had, but now I hold out as long as possible. I may have a stash of 15 - 10 Rupee bills but I'm not gonna let on and I make sure not to let him see that stash in my wallet. Usually after a few seconds of scrounging around, change emerges. Sometimes neither of you really do have change. Hopefully there's a shop nearby to ask, but many a time I've had to walk around with the autowala to go find a place to get the change.

I purchased a book called 'The Argumentative Indian' and more and more I think of that title because I am becoming more and more argumentative. But in India you just simply cannot take 'no' as a first answer. I checked online for two trains tickets and it showed they were available. However when I got to the station, the clerk said that they weren't. After arguing and going back and forth to different offices for about an hour, finally yes, there were two tickets and I had them in my hand. I have often found myself arguing over the price of an auto ride as well. But I knew for a fact yesterday that the trip I took cost Rs. 15. It always costs that much, but this autowala said Rs. 20, so I argued with him. Finally I said 'hamesha pandrah' which means always fifteen. He seemed amused by my few Hindi words, so I walked off leaving him with the fifteen. But you forget that the Rs. 5 difference you are arguing over is around ten cents in american dollars. In the end it's about the principle of the thing, about being right, and fairness.

But here you just learn to play the game and that you have to break the rules.
People here don't stand in nice, neat lines. If you leave any space between you and the person in front of you, that will be interpreted as you just milling around the line, not your actually waiting. So you have to bust up in there; I learned this my first time in India and have been learning it better and better as time passes here. Although maybe I'm becoming too Indian...As I was waiting in the line for foreign tourist train tickets which also includes senior discounts and other things, there were several indians pushed up to the window as usual, and then there were several foreign girls who had not learned this rule yet. They were standing well behind this crowd, leaving the standard western personal bubble of space, and of course not getting anywhere. Maybe I'm a bad person because yes - well that is already pretty established!- , I knew they were in line and they were there before me, but hell, they were leaving way too much space. I easily walked up to the counter and pushed next to another Indian right next to the window. Ten minutes or more after I had left the counter I looked back, and the foreign girls were still waiting there.

My boyfriend, Haider, who is from Iraq has found his own ways to play the game.
Indians often mistake him as an Indian as well and begin speaking to him in Hindi or Gujarati. To get the benefits of being viewed as a native, he usually tells people he encounters on the street that he is Kashmiri. As this is a very far northern state and people tend to be a little fairer and look a little different and people in Gujarat don't seem to know the difference, usually they accept this fact. However one day a wala commented, 'you are the first Kashmiri I've know who doesn't speak Hindi' Ha! He also tries to use this technique to get into cultural things and monuments. Usually museums and things like the Taj Mahal etc. charge one small fee for Indians and a much bigger one for foreigners. Usually he can get the discounted rate, but when he tries to buy several for us, while we the foreigners wait out of eyesight, this just doesn't fly.

11 comments:

  1. I tend to ask the bank for change when I go to an ATM. But, the best source of change is actually the local temple -- my great aunt goes there all the time with larger notes and comes back with tons of Rs. 10 notes.

    On the bright side, after 9 months in India, you're never going to take no for an answer ever again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't mind the Rs. 10 game at all! CEPT's cantina you can count on to have change, and we live right in the middle of a bunch of shops so it's not a problem. OH, but I forgot to mention how no one will accept a bill that has even the smallest tear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little bit scared that when you come back home, we'll all get pushed around and roughed up!!! hahahaha!! I find it quite amusing that you don't consider yourself a "foreign girl" in India.... very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The change game was somewhat the same in South America... but the game was for the merchant or taxi driver to not have change so the big natural blonde Gringo would say 'keep it'... which I usually did therefore exasperating the bad practice. I think you are dangerously teetering on a major throw down with some line breakers.. you can always drop a few Rs on the grown and dash in front of those who pick them up.. then just smile like nothing happened

    ReplyDelete
  5. invading my bubble space would get on my nerves but it sounds a little like driving in Nashville when you leave more than a crack between you and the driver in front, people jerk in there! It's all those damn yankees that have moved here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, you gotta play the game like they play it. I can't help it these girls didn't know how to play it yet!hahahaha I learned the hard way; they will too

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, here it's not actually just because they want me to say keep the change. At least not in Ahmedabad, maybe in tourist areas.. But I know it happens to Indians too. Otherwise the rickshaw driver wouldn't agree to wander around with me for 10 minutes to find change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see you when you come back and go to the back you'll be pushing people out of the way. And they will think whats her problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's all well and good, but just remember when you come back home.... MAMA'S WORD IS LAW!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! There will be NO pushing around the mama!! :P

    ReplyDelete