Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kalamata Olives and Feta Cheese: Rs. 600, Not having to eat Indian Food: Priceless

So I had heard of a shop that sells some American food and checked it out today.
Bought some Hoisin sauce and sweet and sour sauce. Chicken deli meat, frozen BACON, some of the fried cheese and corn bites they have at Mandarin Garden, spagetthi sauce, refried beans, guacamole dip, tortilla chips, spaghetti sauce (even if you get regular here the spices are funky) It was probably $30 - that is ridiculous for groceries in india, seriously.

YOu don't realize how lucky we are int he US to have so much variety in the types of food we get. Mexican, Italian, almost anything. And you are free to cook meat in your own apartment and drink alcohol. Here you have to hide it when you throw it away.

I bought some Feta cheese and a bottle of Kalamata Olives, because I wanted in and I thought it would be something Haider would have in Iraq. We both ate it up. Rashmi on the other hand didn't like it at all and thought it was way too salty. I said, now you know how we feel eating Indian food with so many spices all the time! LOL, no, it's just funny how foreign even a flavor combination can taste.

I found a restaurant that had 'gasp' pad thai, and I was really excited to have something different. They brought it out and I had a sinking feeling. Instead of tasting very peanuty, it just reeked of red chili flakes. I was so disappointed. Now Pizza here is usually pretty decent, except they don't put enough tomato sauce on it. Instead they just dip the whole damn thing in ketchup. If you think Americans use a lot of ketchup, we have nothing on Indians.

Oh then one place had lasagna...you know how it's usually baked? Well this was just the lasagna noodles boiled, in layers, with some cauliflower and cheese in between. No tomato to be seen...

I went to subway the other day. Now they are pretty much the same as at home. However I saw that one sandwich had bacon...well they brought it out and it looked more like proscuitto..it didn't look cooked at all, so I said no, do not even think about putting that on there. In addition to the american sandwiches there are several with "aloo, tikka, paneer, etc," in the title.

Oh, and I should have known that bottled guacamole would be horrible..but one can hope, right? And mixed with the refried beans and some tomato, it wasn't too bad :)

15 comments:

  1. Who do you hide your alcohol from?? Is it illegal? Or is it just taboo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's illegal in all of Gujarat state out of reverence for Gandhi because he was from this state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where did u find feta cheese can u plz tell me...

      Delete
    2. There is a shop near Vijay char rasta. When you get to the char rasta, turn to go west on Drive-IN road. It is just a tiny bit away from the intersection. There are steps that go down below street level to the shop and there were freezer cases outside you could see. Unfortunately I don't remember the name!

      Delete
    3. nevermind even this can help me a lot.. thank you so much mam.. by any chance if you come to a'bad try Italian food @ little Italian on s.g. road you might like it..:)

      Delete
    4. Hmm what's the name of the restaurant? It's on S.G. highway? There's a Dominoes on the other side of the highway from it, right?

      Delete
    5. yup on S.G.highway, nr.Rajpath club.. "little Italian"

      Delete
    6. I remember seeing that place, but never went there. Are you from the US? Or where are you from originally?

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite blogs so far! hahahaha! Except for the fact that it exacerbates my worries that you will be LOCKED UP ABROAD for being a hussy or drinking alcohol!!! I'm googling Amnesty International as we speak!!! Anyway!!! I'm excited that you found a place with some not Indian foods. I was thinking that the night you get home (whenever it may be) that I'll turned the menu over to dad so he can make you a MEAT FEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't say i was drinking alcohol...yeah i will not be eating indian for a looong time when I get home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should open a resturant that servces real american food. You could make a killing. Espically to any American living over there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After your dad's meatfest, you can come south for sweet tea, broccoli dip, homemade guacamole and anything else you might like I could fix you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely want some guacamole! And a southern breakfast with sausage and gravy..and pot roast...and ribs...and caeser salad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come to my house after you leave Michelle's. We'll start with breakfast featuring K of C stuffed sausage and John's yummy pancakes. We'll end the day with grilled burgers and home cooked fries and my chocolate chip chocolate cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just come to all your houses now and eat on Lindsay's behalf? :P

    ReplyDelete