Monday, April 5, 2010

Last day in Singapore









So first of all my flight didn't leave Singapore until 12 at night. I checked out of the hostel 12 hours before, luckily the ladies kept an eye on my stuff for me, and I just came back for it later.

Well first of all I had seen these amazing pedestrian walkways built through the treetops in some tourist literature. So I took the MRT way out there and then asked the bus drivers which bus to take. He told me to sit up front and he would tell when to get off. Well I got off at the bottom of this huge hill, right under these pedestrian walkways. After hiking up the hill, the view was amazing! Really amazing walking through the tree tops and quiet...and really really humid. All these petite, cute asian girls walking around in heels and super cute little sophisticated dresses, not sweating a bit. And then me...haha big american girl sweating like a pig in the 90% humidity. The heat is less there than Ahmedabad but I have to say I appreciate A'bad more now. It's oven-like heat is much better than the sauna style heat.

Loookkk- It's a McGriddle Sandwich! Yay! They don't serve breakfast at McD's in India. Oh man if only they'd had one of those steak bagels...

So anyway, after that I was gonna go to Chinatown, but I got out at the stop and it was raining super hard :( So I had some KFC mashed potatoes while I was at the mall there (ok yeah, i know i'm just talking about food here, but I'm just telling you how it was. I hadn't had any of this food in seven months so I was determined to make room for as much as possible!) So I didn't see much of chinatown, i decided i'd go see the National Museum instead...well after wandering around for awhile, I couldn't find it. But you see the MRT metro stops, half of them end in a mall and the other half have these big shopping complexes underneath...so I tended to get a bit sidetracked (especially when I found My Neighbor Totoro merchandise!)

I finally ended up going to Arab St. - a muslim area - with a lot of different middle eastern food. Unfortunately it wasn't like little india where immigrated indians live, so there wasn't a big middle eastern community. I really wanted to find a middle easter grocery to pick up some things for Haider. It was more catered to foreign tourists - so a lot of, goofy-looking foreigners smoking hookahs was what it was basically...There were a street that sold a lot of fabric for the malaysian women's clothes. And there were Turkish restaurants, Lebanese, etc, so I at least brought home some baklava for Haider. Oh and then there was one random...SWEDISH restaurant thrown into Arab St. Seriously, what the heck, random?? Ha, because Swedish food is so well known besides their...meatballs??

4 comments:

  1. I think about you all the time being hot there with the Kemper Curse! It's starting to be that time of the year when the back of my neck stays damp all the time! YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's seriously humid there tho! I think it was almost 90% when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pic of the women and the fabric. So bright and vibrant! The raised walkways are really cool too, but what is the purpose of them being that way? Do they go somewhere special?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey poopnose! i'm jealous, singapore looks so cool! You need to go to China next and go to the baby panda reserve! But then I would HATE YOU and be so jealous!!!!! I love those walkways, those look so cool!

    ReplyDelete