Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hindi Class





Just began my Hindi classes finally at Gujarat Vidyapith, a school actually started by Gandhi ji! Every Tues, Thur, and Fri from 8:30 to 10 I have class. I must say the sitting on the floor is killing me though! The class is for foreigners only, so it's an interesting mix. It seems there are a number of German students there, working for an NGO. I spoke in German with one girl, but I must admit that it was really difficult to speak it while also in the process of learning Hindi! I ended up asking a question in German and then responding to the answer with a Hindi 'thik hai' or 'bahut accha'...There are a couple Americans also working at an NGO, another American whose husband is pursuing a business here, and an Iraqi. It's pretty amusing to hear Hindi spoken with so many accents. I was really confused for awhile when we were saying where we are from in Hindi. The one girl who I thought was from Germany, kept saying she was from Gemini. Until I figured out it was her accent, I thought it was maybe some military base or something!

Meanwhile I think our teacher must have been an aspiring Bollywood singer in her youth! It's really amusing because at least every class she breaks into song. She actually wrote a book on learning Hindi through bollywood songs. It was really amusing the other day because we had a new student named Rosa, short for Rosalin. Our teacher said everyone here would call her Rosa because of a popular movie of the same name, and then proceeded to tell us the whole plot of the movie. Finally she said, but that's ok, I will call you Rosalin. To which the student responded, but what if I like Rosa??

Anyway it's a new fun something to do and to meet new people. And I get a kick out of busting out a new Hindi phrase in front of my Indian friends, and they get a big kick out of it as well - especially when I busted out, 'aap se mil kar bahut khusi hui' - very glad to meet you. I was pretty surprised myself that I remembered it all...!

3 comments:

  1. I think your participation in this class is the greatest thing! Meeting all these people from other nationalities all united to learn Hindi! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I took Spanish and Portuguese at the same time, I was speaking Portospanish. You are speaking GermHindi! You can create your own civilization and plan your own city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny about the singing lady! SOunds like it would be fun. I had problems with that in Germany too.. we all came up with a language called Danglish.. Deutsch + english..
    We made a joke of it and added "Ge" to any english past tense verb .. so I'd say I gewent to the store..

    ReplyDelete