Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Soon-to-be Ex-pat

One of my goals was that at some point I wanted to be an ex-pat; this will become a reality in about 3 weeks on Aug 15th! I have my research visa and plane tickets and will be spending 9 months in Ahmedabad, India on a Fulbright grant to study urban planning. Some of you have been asking whether I'll be blogging while there, so here is where it will go down! And I know that I will be much more dilligent at keeping this up than the last few blogs I've tried...I promise!

Right now I'm trying to learn a bit of Hindi before I leave, but I know I am going to confuse a lot of Indians when I try to speak it because I'm sure I'll mix in some German! I just wish I could roll my r's! I've tried and tried - how is it that English is one of the only languages that doesn't have this sound??

But I'm very excited (albeit right now also very nervous) about getting to spend a pronlonged period of time in India! I was there for about a month in February of 2005 as part of BSU's CapAsia field study which led me to apply for the Fulbright. But even at that, I barely scratched the surface, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the country and also to seeing friends I made there.

Ok, well I just wanted to get this started! I'll post more about my project soon!
Chalo!
Lindsay




5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog Lindsay :) Can't wait to read all about your adventures in India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Lindsay... I am looking forward to reading your blog about the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay. 9 months is a long time! But its great, cause you'll actually get to know the people and the culture... which you woudn't, in a 1 month trip. I'm sure you'll be travelling a bit.. which means u'll be coming to mumbai.. be in touch when u reach here.
    Btw, I'm a Gujarati.. which means you'll be in my native State! ;)
    Lemme know if you need any help with hindi or gujarati.
    Good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nishit! I forgot you're a Gujarati, I thought you were from Mumbai. I saw pics of your wedding from some of the CapAsia students. It looked fabulous! What is your wife's name?

    ReplyDelete